Senior Sports Personality of the Year
Tim Davies (Cycling)
Sports stars from across mid and south Powys have been honoured at the Annual Sports Awards ceremony.
The 2017 Brecknock and Radnor Sports Partnership Annual Sports Awards took place at Theatr Brycheiniog on Thursday (19th March). Now in their 21st year, the awards recognise and celebrate sporting success of local individuals and teams at all levels.
Ex Glamorgan Wicketkeeper Mark Wallace was guest speakers at this year’s ceremony, which was organised collaboratively by the volunteer-run Brecknock and Radnor Sports Partnership and Powys County Council’s Sports Development team.
Over 70 nominations were received across 13 categories. The winners on the night were:
- Senior Sports Personality of the Year – Tim Davies (Cycling) – Our featured image above
- Senior Disabled Sports Personality – Morgan Jones (Athletics)
- Young Sportsperson 14-18 years – George Thomas (Athletics)
- Young Disabled Sportsperson – Ethan Orton, Ysgol Penmaes (Badminton)
- Junior Sportsperson Under 14 – Aelwen Davies (Cycling)
- Senior Sports Team – Weale Brothers
- Junior Sports Team – Brecon High School Girls Year 8 Badminton Team
- Club of the Year – Brecon Cricket Club
- Young Sports Leader – Ieuan Phillips, Gwernyfed High School
- Coach of the Year – Jane Price, Disability Sports Coach
- Sports Volunteer of the Year – Maggie Walby, Llandrindod Just Move
- Contribution to PE and School Sport – Sharon Marshall, Cradoc Primary School, Brecon Swimming Club
and don’t forget…
all the movie clips shown on the night are up on Youtube!
There were also two recipients of the Outstanding Service to Sport Award, they were:
Bob Davies and Jeff Smith – Brecon Corries FC
Malcolm Bates – Rhayader Motorcycle and Light Car Club
Judoka Olympian Natalie was also presented with a Special Achievement Award while gold medal Paralympian Rob Davies was presented with an Outstanding Achievement Award.
These awards are a wonderful celebration of sport in Brecknock and Radnorshire and I would like to congratulate all those who were successful on the night.
The number of nominations is a testimony to the strength and breadth of sport, talent and support in the area and the standards being attained by many of young sportspeople is a fantastic achievement.
It was also great that our nominees were able to hear from Powys born and bred duo of Dan Lydiate and Rob Davies. I hope their presence at this year’s ceremony inspired the audience with their individual sporting journeys and successes.Cllr Graham Brown, Powys County Council’s Cabinet Member for Sports Development
The Brecknock and Radnor Sports Partnership and the council’s Sports Development team would like to thank this year’s sponsors:
Arriva Trains Wales
Sport Wales & Disability Sport Wales
Welsh Royal Crystal
Rhayader Round The Lakes
Lisa and Lucy Jackson